Monday, May 7, 2012

The Power of Words

We've all heard the saying, "Actions speak louder than words." And, for the most part, I agree.  However, words are still very important and very powerful tools that can be used to build up, or destroy.  Words have always been very important to me -- perhaps too important.  While I myself am a person of few words (or at least fewer words than most -- I am usually quite content to sit and listen to others talk), I tend to listen intently to the words of others -- especially those closest to me.  I listen and remember.  I remember the encouragements and affirmations.  I remember the expressions of affection and care.  But I also remember the criticisms, the expressions of anger and disappointment.  I remember the promises made and now broken. 

Many years ago, when I was still a rookie in my job as Chaplain at Greenville College, a faculty member whom I greatly respected and admired came to my office and asked me to pray with him.  "You want ME to pray with YOU?" I asked.  He looked me in the eyes and said, "You are my chaplain."  Four words -- four words that encouraged and empowered me in ways that still impact me today.  They were a proclamation -- a declaration -- not just of who I was, but also of who I was becoming.  Those words brought life to me.

But not all words bring life.  I suppose no one understands the destructive power of words more than the Apostle Peter.  The words he spoke in denial of Jesus Christ must have cut deeply to the core of his being.  "I do not know the Man!" he exclaimed.  You don't even know Jesus, Peter?  How could you say such words?  You were one of His closest friends!  After all you had been through with Him?  Jesus trusted you, Peter! 

I have received some words from people that have been devastating-- causing me to even question my worth, my value, my identity.  And the words that have had the most power and influence over me are those that came from people who knew me well -- people I trusted, people I admired, people I loved.

But as I write this, I can hear my own words coming back to haunt me.  When I dare point the finger at others who have hurt me with their words, there are hundreds of fingers pointing back at me -- hundreds of words I wish I could take back, rephrase, edit, delete, refrain from pushing the "send" or "reply" button.  But I can't.  Just like Peter, I must live with the things I have said.

What words have I spoken or written over someone?  Have I brought people hope and encouragement  through my words? Or have I torn them down, discouraged them, disillusioned and disappointed them?  I pray for God's grace and healing for those I have damaged through my words!  I pray for God's wisdom and love to permeate my thoughts and my words so that the love of Christ would guide all that I do -- AND say.

          "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful
           for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
           (Ephesians 4:29)

Lord, may the words that I speak please You -- and help bring hope and encouragement to others.


1 comment:

  1. Lori--I like it somewhere in the Psalms (NIV), he says, "Set a guard over the door of my lips." Recently, I've been adapting it to my own purposes: "Please set a battalion over the door of my lips." My lips act so STUPID sometimes! Perhaps I'd best pray, "Lord, please LOCK the door of my lips!"
    Wes Cannon, class of 2000

    ReplyDelete