Friday, June 29, 2012

"Seeking A Friend for the End of the World"


 
This is my first (and perhaps last) attempt at a movie review.  I really enjoy going to movies.  This comes as no great revelation to those who know me.  At our local theatre I don't even have to order my popcorn and drink.  They see me in line and have my order ready before I even reach the counter. Which might mean that... perhaps... I do attend too many movies.

However, in my defense, most movies are a learning experience for me.  I enjoy good character development,  intelligent dialogue, intricate plots and authentic relationships, but I also enjoy well-done CGI (and, on occasion, being frightened.)   Before I go to a movie I usually want to know what to expect.  I don't want to know how it ends, but --  is it a drama?  an action-flik?  will there be robots?  will I need someone to hang onto for half of the movie?  is it a comedy?  does it have a happy ending?  will it involve the destruction of major cities like New York and Hong Kong?  will people fall in love?  will good triumph over evil?  will the subject matter hit close to home?  will I leave the film smiling, crying, or thinking deep thoughts?

Often after a movie I wish I had a group of people, or at least ONE thoughtful person, to "unpack" it with -- because I'm still thinking about it (well, not after EVERY movie -- not much thought took place after "Rango" or "21 Jump Street.")

So that's why I'm writing this review -- it's a way for me to debrief without bugging other people.  And if anyone chooses to join me in the process of unpacking, all the better!  This movie review will not be a critique of the acting, editing, cinematography, lighting, etc., etc.  Instead, it's about how the film made me think, question, wonder -- about people, the world, and God.

My daughter Emily and I went to see "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World."  Normally I would do a bit more research on a film before going, but it was a quick decision.  So, about all I knew was that it was a comedy with Steve Carrel and Keira Knightley.  I'd heard Carrel interviewed on one of the late-night talk shows and I remembered him saying, "If you want to see a comedy about the apocalypse, this would be it."  I was intrigued.  I liked the actors.  And I was ready for a comedy.

What I got instead was a thought-provoking view of the state of humanity.  And it was terrifying and tragic and strange and beautiful and dark and hopeful, all at the same time.   This film is actually attempting to answer one of the most profound questions a human being could ever ask:  When confronted with the reality of one's impending death, what would you do with the short time you have left?

Don't worry -- if you haven't yet seen the film and still intend to, I promise not to give away any significant details of the plot.  But you do need to know the obvious.  The end of the world IS coming, and there is no attempt to hide this fact.  The main focus of the film becomes the relationship between Carrel and Knightley -- two people who at first glance could not be more different from one another.  However, the more we get to know them, the more we see what they have in common -- honesty, authenticity, and the ability to truly love one another -- self-sacrificial love -- in spite of the fact that they barely know one another, and in spite of, or perhaps because of, the fact that they only have about two weeks to be together.  In some ways, they represented the best of humanity to me.  While there really was no attempt to overtly talk about God or heaven, I felt they somehow "got it."  They found hope in EACH OTHER.  Stripping away all the games and pretenses that people engage in all the time, they simply cared for and loved each other. 

In the background of the film we see the rest of humanity, coping in various ways with the reality of the end of the world.  Some are in complete denial ("maybe if we ignore this, it will all go away").  Some have planned for this and are almost eager to see it come (the rugged survivalists, the "bring it on" warriors).  And most follow the same philosophy they have followed all their lives:  "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die."  To the very end, they are pleasure seekers, because to them, this life is all that exists.

I found myself wanting to believe that this wouldn't be the case.  Surely people would seek out some deeper meaning to life when truly faced with death.  Surely they would try to reach out to something, someone "out there."  But most didn't.  There was no massive time of "soul searching."  No world-wide repentance.  No huge gathering of humanity seeking for truth and reconciliation.  For the most part, there were individuals struggling to simply make it through to the end.

This is where my friends would jump in and tell me, "Lori, it's only a movie!"  And they're right. But what can it teach us?  What does it say about us?  About the world?  About human beings?  What does it say about the Church?  What does it say about those of us who love Jesus and are trying to follow Him?  What would/should WE do?  I certainly don't have all the answers, but I'm more intent upon asking the questions now.

I thought I was seeing a comedy, but instead I got a movie that has kept me thinking about the deeper issues of life and the end of the world.  I hate it when that happens:)

Of course, the film's title IS "Seeking a Friend for the End of the World."  I have no one to blame but myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment