Tuesday, September 18, 2012

We Really Do Need Each Other


When I was in college I had a VERY brief encounter with the idea that I might be a songwriter. Thankfully that delusion didn't last long, because I think I succeeded in writing a total of 3 or 4 songs on my old Alvarez guitar (which, by the way, is gathering dust right now).

These are the lyrics for one of those songs.  It seems that I have had a lifetime struggle with the whole idea of independence verses community --  hiding verses being transparent -- denial of need verses acceptance of love and support from others.

This is how I expressed that struggle when I was about 19 years old:
We All Need Each Other
We all need each other, we're all sisters and brothers, and our Father put us all together.
But we can spend our lives denying, and just keep on trying
to face life's battles all alone.

We're afraid of trusting our love to another, it hurts so much to be let down.
Sometimes it's easier to hide, and feel lonely inside,
Than to open up our souls.

(Chorus)
But when will we take the hand that's reaching out to us?
When will we understand that it's OK to trust?
If His love abides in us, then we must share it with each other,
And we'll stand strong in Him together.

Still we play our silly games, proving our independence, never admitting we might need them.
So while our brother's holding out his hand, and our sister wants to hold us,
Our foolish pride keeps us all alone.

(Chorus)
Oh when will we take the hand that's reaching out to us?
When will we understand that it's OK to trust?
If His love abides in us, then we must share it with each other,
And we'll stand strong in Him together.
If His love abides in us, then we must share it with each other,
You and I, we'll stand strong together.



After all these years, the struggle continues.  Independence versus community.  Hiding versus being transparent.  And denying the fact that I really do need the love and support of others.  I need you.  And you need me.  That is the way God created us.

I find it much easier to accept the fact that YOU need ME, because that means I'm still in control.  But if I need you as well, then I must lower my defenses and allow you to truly touch my heart, and then you have the power to bruise it or even break it.

And yet, isn't that love?  Isn't that exactly what Jesus did?  My heart is not meant to be whole and perfect -- but wounded and broken.  Because that's where Jesus lives -- in my broken and contrite heart.  That's where His love flows.

No comments:

Post a Comment