Thursday, January 3, 2013

I Resolve...to Remember

I Resolve...to Remember

December 14, 2012 -- Twenty children (aged 6 & 7) and six teachers were shot and killed in Newtown, CT

April 16, 2007 -- Thirty-two people (both students and professors) were gunned down at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, VA

October 2, 2006 -- Five little girls were killed in a one-room Amish schoolhouse in Lancaster County, PA

April 20, 1999 -- Twelve students and one teacher were shot and killed at Columbine High School in Colorado

There are more.  Countless more.  Seemingly random acts of violence and hatred and evil.  For the most part, unexplainable.  Certainly incomprehensible.

But this is not a post about gun control laws or the NRA or politics or the Constitution of the United States.  It's not that I don't believe those things are important.  I just don't find social media a very useful way to discuss these matters, primarily because there really is no discussion.  We post a status, and we get people to like it.  Or they disagree and write a negative response back.  We write a blog.  People agree or disagree, perhaps with a comment or two.    But it's all electronic.  Wires and plastic and towers and satellites and cables and keys.  There is no flesh and blood.  No one sitting across the table from us, sipping a cup of coffee. No one looking us in the eye.

So although I don't want to "discuss" gun control or anything else of that nature, I DO want to talk about something very important.

I want to remember.

I want to remember -- not just the death of so many innocent people -- but their LIVES.

I want to remember the most important lesson that I learned through these tragedies.

LIFE IS PRECIOUS and  PEOPLE ARE IMPORTANT. 

Most of us believe that life is precious and people are important.  The problem is we often don't live like we believe it.  We move on.  We have things to do and places to go and people to see.  We are all about activity and productivity.

So how do we live it?  How do we remember?  In the wake of the Newtown tragedy, many people are encouraging us to engage in acts of kindness to remember the lives lost.  Twenty-six acts of kindness. Not just a wonderfully redeeming idea, but one that the Apostle Paul would definitely affirm.  In his letter to the Romans he wrote, "Do not be overcome with evil, but overcome evil with good" (Romans 12:21). 

Overcome evil with good.  Within each of us exists such a capacity to do good.  Because within each of us is the Image of God.  Sinners, yes.  In need of God's grace and mercy, absolutely.  Saved only through the sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ, indeed.  But saved to DO GOOD WORKS (Eph. 2:10).

Good works.  Acts of kindness.

I'm wondering if any of you will join me on an adventure.  It's certainly not an original idea of mine, but one that I've borrowed from Richard Foster (Celebration of Discipline).  I even use it as a class assignment (one of my favorite).   It's a beautiful twist on the idea of doing acts of kindness for others.

"Acts of Hidden Service"

The idea is simply this:  doing acts of kindness, acts of service, anonymously.   Intentionally trying to keep your identity a secret.  Desiring no recognition, no reward, no thanks.  Just the knowledge that you are helping someone.  Just the knowledge that you are remembering that life is precious and people are important -- and you can make a positive difference in someone's life.

The amazing thing about doing acts of hidden kindness is that while the recipient can't thank you, they often feel better about those around them because anyone could be "guilty" of helping them.  Anyone.  So instead of seeing the world as a hostile place, it looks a bit brighter.  People look a bit more caring.  And evil is overcome with good.

We were created to do good works in Christ Jesus.  Because life is precious -- and people are of infinite value to God.  It was LOVE that motivated God to send His Son.  May this same love motivate us to care for others.

Will you join me on this adventure?

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Lori, I absolutely Love You!! I will definately join your journey and REMEMBER! I appreciate your willingness to share your compassion, humility, love and truth through such insightful and heartfelt Blogs. You speak to my soul and continuously Bless me with testimonies of encouragement and strength. I stand and agree with you, GOOD WORKS for JESUS CHRIST, need No recognition, rewards or thank-you's. Just LOVE.

      (Monique Brunious)

      Delete
    2. Monique,
      You are such a blessing to me! It's a privilege to be on this journey WITH YOU! Love you, my friend.
      Lori

      Delete