Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Greenville College -- Another Beginning


For all current and former students, faculty, staff, and administrators of Greenville College, this is especially for you:

Last weekend we concluded our annual Fall Faculty Fellowship at Greenville College.  It's a kind of "jump-start" to the new year, a "torch lighting" before the games begin, a "pep rally" at the beginning of the new season (have I used enough metaphors yet, or would you like more??)

Gathering the faculty before the school year begins is something that many colleges and universities do.  And I have had the privilege of being a part of GC's Faculty Fellowship for many years.  However, it didn't hit me until today that this was my 25th time.  I am beginning my 25th year of being a part of this community of faith and learning.  A quarter of a century.  Half of my lifetime.

But this one felt differently to me.  Maybe it was because we had a great topic and an excellent outside speaker.  Shane Hipps, author of Flickering Pixels: How Technology Shapes Your Faith, shared with us about the evolution of technology and how it impacts our culture and faith.  Fascinating stuff.  Maybe it was because the food was especially good (really, Libby and her crew provided pretty incredible meals).  But I think it was something else.  I think it was me.


I think it was me, recognizing again, and somehow for the first time, what a privilege it is to be a part of the family of God, and a member of this particular group of people.  It was me, realizing that my recent health issues have caused me to view life a bit differently.  It's difficult to fully describe, but I'm seeing the forest for the trees more often.  And some things that used to seem vitally important just don't anymore.  I'm looking for things that will last beyond this lifetime.  I'm seeking wisdom from those who have walked this journey longer than I have -- those who truly know what I yearn to know -- those who know what it means to be content, to be at peace, to rest in the presence of God.  Those who truly know that, in the end, everything really will be alright. And in this particular community of faith, I have found these people.  Precious people.  Saints.

It was also me, being so grateful for all the young faces -- those who come with fresh ideas and the optimism of youth. Those who love the Lord with passion and enthusiasm.  Those who still have a bit of mischief to work out -- who are still kids at heart (actually, in our community, that describes some of our older folks as well!).

And it was me, watching in amazement as those my age, my friends, took on mantles of high leadership at Greenville College (including the Presidency) with an inspiring mixture of humility and confidence that can only come from God -- so inspiring that I heard many people say throughout the weekend, "We are in such good hands."

It was me, taking the time to stop and look around and be amazed at people.

We are not a perfect place.   It grieves me deeply when I think of those who came to us and didn't experience the loving, caring community we aspire to be for all who come.  I have often wished we could have a "do-over," especially for these former students.  Sadly, we cannot.  But we can learn -- we must learn -- to do better.


Because what really matters is people --  people, made in God's image.  And at Greenville College I have discovered a group of people who are sincerely trying to be a community of faith and learning.  A group of people who are sincerely trying to be a college community that loves God deeply, and loves the students with whom we are entrusted.  

It's a new year, and while Chaim Potok may be right in saying, "All beginnings are hard," I am especially thankful for this new beginning because God has granted me a new perspective.  It is a privilege to be here.  It is a privilege to walk among these people who love the Lord and love one another, even if we're not perfect.  And it is INDEED a privilege to welcome 1,000 or so students to walk with us, and with our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

And so, "Let the games begin!"

1 comment: