Thursday, August 30, 2012

"It's Not Safe"




One of my favorite movies is "Finding Nemo."  There are so many memorable quotes and extradorinary life lessons from that movie.  Who would have thought a film about a bunch of fish could have so much to offer?

I show the first ten minutes or so of this film to my freshmen class and then ask them to apply it to their own lives as they begin this new part of their journey called "college."   Aside from the fact that the beginning of the film is terrifying (really - a barracuda eats Marlin's wife and all but one of their 400 "children"), there are some great moments after that. No matter how often I watch it, I still laugh when Sheldon sneezes and says, "I'm H2O intolerant," and  Tad remarks, "I'm obnoxious" in a tone that proves his point.  I love the way that Pearl makes Nemo feel less self-conscious about his "lucky" fin by drawing attention to her own imperfection (a shorter tentacle), and Mr. Ray promises Marlin, "Don't worry.  We're going to stay together as a group" (even though it doesn't quite turn out that way:)

But what I mostly hope my students catch from this short clip is that Nemo is actually leaving home for the first time in his life (not unlike many of them), and going out into the large ocean (the world, or in their case, Greenville College), and while it's exciting and new and full of adventure, it is NOT always safe.  In fact, it can be frightening -- lonely -- painful -- disheartening.  Because often in order to learn and grow, we must be challenged and stretched.  And that is usually not fun, and it is often not safe.

In the process of teaching, I am always learning.  And I've discovered something about my own life. I have played it safe.  And I am getting tired of playing it safe.  We all have our own unique "ocean" and I have been afraid to truly venture out into mine.  And I'm tired of being afraid.  I'm tired of counting the cost before I do something that I feel passionate about -- something I might even be called to do.  Our goal is not to be safe.  Jesus did not promise that we would be safe -- not in this life.

In John's Gospel, Jesus comforts His disciples with these words, "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in Me."  Wonderful words.  Comforting words.  But what is most striking to me about this passage is WHEN Jesus speaks them. It is the night of Jesus' arrest.  In just a matter of hours their Master, their Rabbi, the one they left families and friends and occupations to follow, will be arrested, tried, convicted, and hung on a cross.  And yet Jesus says, "Do not let your hearts be troubled."

In this same Gospel, on that same fateful night, Jesus tells His disciples that they will be persecuted -- hated, thrown out of the synagogue, even killed -- all for the sake of the Gospel -- the Good News of Jesus Christ and God's love for the whole world.

Fear can be crippling.  Fear can keep us from doing what is best, what is right, what needs to be done.  And the things we fear tend to reveal what we value the most.  Comfort.  Security.  Our reputation.  Family.  Friends.


Jesus said, "Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in Me."  The world is not a safe place, especially if you truly want to follow Jesus, because the Gospel is intended to shake up things -- take us to places where change needs to happen.  That might be thousands of miles away.  Or it might be right in front of us.
 
It's not safe out there, but we MUST go.  I am tired of playing it safe.  I am praying for the courage to love Jesus with my LIFE.  No matter where that takes me.  No matter what the cost.  Because in the end, nothing else matters more than that.  Nothing.


2 comments:

  1. Well said, well said. Although, right about now I long for the days of safety!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you, my friend. Notice I said I'm PRAYING for courage -- which means I'm very much a work in progress! My prayer is that my safety and security would be in Jesus -- in Christ alone. We are SAFE in HIM.

    Thanks for reading, and thanks so much for responding!

    ReplyDelete